The Brooklyn office leasing market has never been stronger and with several large scale new development projects approaching completion the borough is about to get several new high profile major office buildings to add to its office inventory. Two Trees Domino Sugar Factory office conversion currently under construction is the largest scale office site mega project currently in the works in the Brooklyn. This project will transform the office landscape of Williamsburg.
Currently the neighborhoods with the largest amount of office space in Brooklyn are Dumbo, Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, Gowanus, and Sunset Park.
- Dumbo is anchored by the three major Two Trees buildings, 45 Main Street, 55 Washington Street, and 20 Jay Street. However another major NYC estate family recently made a sizable mark on Dumbo’s office market as well when the Kushner family bought the old Watch Tower building along with several additional buildings from the Jehovas Witness’ and created the sub neighborhood of Dumbo Heights where they’ve created an impressive “Tech Campus” that largely caters to tech and media tenants. Another recent addition to Dumbo’s office market is the super-stylized 10 Jay Street developed by Triangle Assets.
- Downtown Brooklyn also has a substantial supply of office space with many of the older and best known buildings being the Court Street buildings; 16 Court Street, 32 Court Street, 44 Court Street, and 50 Court Street. For many decades these buildings have largely served the court system with many law firms and courts services tenants with the court house right across the street. However recently tenancy has begun to shift and many new TAMI (Tech, Advertising, Media, Information) tenant’s starting to take office spaces in the Court Street buildings as well as the many other Downtown Brooklyn office buildings.
- Williamsburg is a very popular office neighborhood with many TAMI and creative tenants looking to have their offices in this trendy hip neighborhood. However Williamsburg actually has a scarcity of available office space. However this is about to change with the opening of the Domino Sugar Factory office development at 316 Kent Ave, 200 Kent Ave, and 25 Kent Ave. Kent Ave is about to become the hottest office corridor in Brooklyn.
- Gowanus office space has suddenly become a hot commodity in Brooklyn. Gowanus which was previously best known as superfund site due to the Gowanus Canal has had a renaissance. The neighborhood has changed drastically and it has become a hot spot for creative / TAMI tenants looking for office space. Gowanus also a fair number of warehouses many of which have been converted to office space. And if you walk around Gowanus today this once quiet industrial neighborhood has become cool trendy place with lots of great bars and restaurants and an exciting office community as well.
- Sunset Park is another neighborhood that has seen drastic transformation in the last 5 to 10 years. Industry City, one of the largest and most ambitious office developments in all New York City has transformed Sunset Park from a once mostly industrial neighborhood to one that is teaming with a wealth of creative tenants along with light industrial tenants, and locally sourced food producing tenants as well. Walk through the Industry City campus and you’ll find a unique mixture of tech companies, artists, film & tv production, locally produced breweries, and distilleries and great home grown Brooklyn restaurants as well. And if all that weren’t enough Industry City also boats very competitive low rents as well.